Image Map

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Shopping Diaries: Fighting Eel

Hi all! I suppose this is more of a collective haul from one of my favorite boutiques here on the Islands. I've mentioned them in a few of my previous hauls, but this is, of course, Fighting Eel. I really like the easy, breezy, beachy resort-like design that is very versatile for both day and night. I think many of their pieces would fit nicely into any girl's closet, regardless of their personal style. The quality of the clothes are always on point, and as long as you follow washing instructions, these pieces will continue to look great! And, they are a local boutique too, which makes me happy to be supporting local designers in Hawaii :)

The pieces that I'm showing you today have been from recent purchases. I try to wait for some sort of sale before purchasing hehe, but it's all worth it!


Slate Grey Tie-Dye Cold Shoulder Top (Ava Sky): I got this top at their Downtown location. I think this is my favorite tie-dye color out of all the others that they made with this collection. This top has long billowy sleeves, kind of dolman-like, that has a cut-out which exposes the shoulders. I don't exactly remember what sale I got this from, but I think it was about 25-30% off. I was deciding between this top and another top in the same pattern, but the sleeves had this nice caged detail along the length. I found this top to be more flattering on me, which was my decision for choosing this! How I style this piece is really simple: I just pair it with my light-blue wash Leigh denim from Topshop and my faded black Lita boots from Jeffrey Campbell. Perhaps I should make a lookbook as well with these pieces?


Dark Smoke Tie-Dye Pant Porto (Ava Sky): I remembered exactly what these pants were called because the first time I saw them on IG, I was determined to get them someday! I also got this at the Downtown location at the same sale as the top above. I've been dying to get into the laid-back pant trend because while I think denim is really comfortable, sometimes you just want to wear pants that makes you feel more at ease. I would describe these pants as easy-lux because you feel luxurious without trying too hard. These pants are really versatile when creating an ensemble. My go-to look with this is my white crop tank from Topshop, a thin black cardigan from H&M, and my cut-out buckle boots from 2020 ave.


Purple Stalactite Pendant Necklace (Katrina Cordova): I love Fighting Eel's taste in jewelry. I think they pick out really nice pieces from different local vendors. My boyfriend was asking me what I wanted for Christmas, and nothing came immediately to mind, but I did remember seeing on IG that that day was the last day for 25% off of all jewelry. I decided I wanted to check it out because I had been admiring many of the pieces from this designer. I immediately took to this one because of the pretty purple color. I was debating between this one and another one on a much longer chain because the other had a larger piece of the stalactite and the purple was more dominant. In the end, I chose to go with the more delicate version because I thought it would be more versatile to wear, especially with a shorter chain.


Half Sleeve White Top (Allison Izu): My boyfriend also gifted me this top as well! After picking out the necklace, I browsed around the store to see what was new and I saw this top. Anything white always catches my eye. From the nice drape at the ends to the mesh strip down the middle on both the front and back, this is a great example of easy-lux. The designer is also a local designer who specializes in petite women like me hehe. The smallest size at the Waikiki location available was a Small. The fit was really good, but I wondered whether an XS would fit even better. I was able to try on an XS at the Kailua location a few weeks later, but I ended up keeping the Small because I thought it looked better even though the XS was technically a better fit. I wore this on Sunday with my Dark Smoke Tie-Dye pants, a long gold chain necklace with a triangular pendant from PacSun, and my 2020 ave boots.


Sky Blue Tie-Dye Kimono (Ava Sky): The great thing about signing up with FE's email list is that you receive many great one-day deals. This was one of them! First, they had 30% off the entire store on Dec. 22nd, then 40% off the entire store on Dec. 23rd, then 50% off of Ava Sky items. I missed the first two days (shucks!), but I took advantage of the last sale because that was freaking good! I had one of those credit card gift cards for Christmas (to my defense, I didn't know it was an Xmas gift until I opened it >_>) and I thought this'd be a great opportunity to get the most out of it. After realizing I already had two versions of this dye print, I chose this sky blue one in kimono form. The material is fantastic as always (it's made out of 100% Tencel) and the sleeves and length don't completely drown me. I plan to wear this with the next top listed with some faded high-waisted skinnies from H&M ^^b. Oh yeah, this was already on sale for $64 and with the 50% off discount, it came out to $32 and my gift card was for $30 so I only paid $2 :P.


White Tank w/ Mesh Side-Panels (Allison Izu): To kill some time before my grandpa's funeral, my mom and I had lunch at Mei Sum in Downtown Honolulu and we ended up walking around. Not many shops were open on Sunday, but I knew FE was open hehe. They were having an extra 30% off of reduced prices. Of course, I checked out their sale items and I found the tank version of the top I got for Christmas. This is an XS and despite how the XS fitted for the half-sleeve top, this one had a much more looser fit. I was surprised that my mom offered to buy this for me lol but I wasn't about to turn her down :P. This was originally $60, the sale price was $50, and with the extra 30% off, it came out to $30 :). I would simply style this with a pair of white jeans since I'm a sucker for an all-white ensemble and for a pop of color, I'd use the kimono from above and maybe my nude wedge sandals from ALDO.

I hope you all enjoyed my selections from Fighting Eel. If you live in Hawaii, please support our local designers and if you don't live on the Islands, they do have shipping options! Also, you may find some of their pieces at other boutiques on the Mainland. Here is a list of their sites:

Fighting Eel: http://www.fightingeel.com/
Ava Sky: http://www.avaskyhawaii.com/
Katrina Cordova: http://katrinacordovadesigns.com/site/Main.html

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and see you next time!

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment