Image Map

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

In the Kitchen: Pasta Risotto with Peas & Pancetta

Hello all! 

One thing about me is that I'm quite rubbish at cooking. So for me to be able to cook something not only edible but tasty is quite the feat! While I'm not good at cooking, I'm always interested in looking at random recipes in the newspapers. The recipe that I'm going to share with you today is pasta risotto with peas and pancetta. I found this recipe in the USA Weekend insert in Sunday's newspaper.

I believe this recipe is out of Nigella Lawson's Nigellissima cook book. She is a British cook and I remember I used to enjoy watching her cooking segments early in the morning on the Travel channel when I was either in intermediate or high school. This is a super easy meal to make. I kind of liken it to fried rice!

Ingredients

Tbs. garlic-flavored oil (alt. cook a peeled garlic clove in oil until golden brown and discard the clove)
6 ounces cubed pancetta (alt. thick-cut bacon)
1 1/4 cups frozen petite peas
8 ounces orzo pasta
2 1/2 cups boiling water
Salt, to taste
1 Tb. soft butter
2 Tbs. grated Parmesan
Pepper, to taste

Once the oil is hot, cook the pancetta until it's crisp and bronzed (I used thick-cut bacon instead) and add peas. Stir the peas around for a minute or so until the frozen look leaves them. Add the orzo pasta and mix in with the pancetta and peas. Pour in the boiling water and turn down the heat to let it simmer. Every now and then, mix to avoid pasta sticking to the pan. Add more water if necessary. After 10 minutes, add butter and Parmesan and adjust the seasoning to your liking. Then serve! Here is the finished product:


It's quite fun to make and quite delicious. I would like to look for an alternative meat besides bacon just because I'd like to make it even more healthy! If you have any suggestions, leave a comment down below!

Thanks for reading!
-LAUREN

No comments:

Post a Comment