Image Map

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Shopping Diaries: Gilly Hicks Ala Moana

I always look forward to when my dad surprises me with these shopping sprees. I call them shopping sprees; he just says 'I'm going to take you shopping this Thursday.' I went to 5 different stores, so I'll make separate posts for each store because I did buy quite a lot from each store. Today's post will be about Gilly Hicks.

The first time I saw Gilly Hicks, I could instantly tell that it was definitely from the Abercrombie & Fitch company. A&F's marketing scheme fascinates me. I think the most interesting thing about them is their store layout and ambiance. If I could, I would definitely love to do a marketing research report on just that. What is it about these brands that make them so hip? If you think about it, take away their famous animal symbols, strongly perfumed scents, and darkened rooms, you really just end up with ordinary clothes that you could easily find for much cheaper. Yet, consumers of the brand continue to be loyal and want only from their brands. Interesting isn't it?

So as you all may know, Gilly Hicks is like the Victoria Secret of the A&F empire. I haven't bought any bras from here yet, though I should because when they have sales, it's usually at least 40% off and it's regularly priced at around $20 so not bad at all! What I really love about this store is their sleepwear. I enjoy wearing their sleep shorts, which you'll see in a moment, and other basics such as tank tops and long sleep pants.

Fashion brand community - poupeegirl
Fashion brand community - poupeegirl
Fashion brand community - poupeegirl

Here are the three pairs of sleep shorts that I bought! It was all 40% off from $19.50 I think. I have a mad obsession for navy blue (I think I mentioned that before in one of my previous posts) so I bought one with a white trim and one all navy blue. I'm also obsessed with monochrome and they had white with navy blue trim, so I grabbed that as well.

Fashion brand community - poupeegirl
Fashion brand community - poupeegirl

I had originally bought the gray tank and a navy blue V-neck t-shirt, but the t-shirt ended up being too big, so I had to go back and return it. I ended up exchanging it for a navy blue tank instead of getting the t-shirt in a smaller size. I've been buying a lot of sheer tops recently, so I thought it might be best to invest in more under tops such as tanks. I think these were originally $15.50 and the sale for this was all tanks and plain V-neck t-shirts were $10.

Stay tuned for the next segment in this shopping spree!


Thank you for reading!

-LAUREN 


2 comments:

  1. I'd never given thought to A&F's marketing strategy before, and after reading your observation, you are absolutely right.. that IS very enigmatic. Definitely worth looking into!
    When you say Gilly Hicks is like the Victoria's Secret, do you mean they sell intimates, as well?! I didn't know this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! They sell bras and undies, but they also do sleepwear and some casual wear as well.

      Delete